Reddit News: June
The International 2015 prize pool
It happened on 6 June The International 2015 prize pool has become the largest in the histrory of eSports. Since then it has grown by as much as 4 million, having almost reached the main aim of 15 million. This year it took only 35 days for the prize pool to overcome the previous one. "Maybe $15 Million isn't a crazy goal. :) Congrats Dota community. Well paid! " wrote user wykrhm.
Since we are about a month away from the main event, the user offer variants of the next goal. For example, 9Gaming offered a funny idea: забавную идею: 1vs1 encounter at mid between the creator of original DotA Icefrog and Valve's face and brain — Gabe Newell. What do you think?
Many people liked a simple and effective mod Overthrow, issued along with beta of Reborn update at new engine Source 2. «I vote for an "Overthrow" match for the All-Star match at TI5. Wouldn't it be awesome? Please make it happen» says yanenrogne. Well, true. The original map has outlived itself. We are unlikely to get new hero of Techies kind, and no one will be surprized with Roshan.s.
As you know, one of Compendium's reward is a new Desert Terrain. It is especially pleasant for those readers, who won't have opportunity to have rest at the sea this summer. So let's compare the map with the original and share your impressions!
Ask Me Anything
Reddit has been long known for its AMA (Ask me anything). Many well-known people answer questions, put in AMAs by ordinary users. Dota 2 is no exception. So we've collected the most interesting "questions/answers" of the past month.
ESL ONE Frankfurt Host
- A few questions, the replies will probably be short though:
- How did you prepare for the event: watching VODs, analyzing stats of the teams, reading interviews, etc?
- How good were Nahaz's dance moves at the afterparty?
- Do you intend to host more Dota 2 events?
- Do you see yourself attending Dota 2 LAN events as a spectator ever? Possibly The International?
- What was the biggest thing you learnt hosting this event?
- First was reading up on the teams - player histories, who's hot who's not, big storylines. How many times did certain teams meet so far this year? is there a clear favorite? etc. Also favorite heroes and whatnot. I skimmed datdota but there's so much info there it was hard to parse through on my first run! I watched a lot of The Summit and of course all the seeding brackets to prepare. Listening to what casters focus on, how the community reacted to certain plays and results, gave me a much better idea on what to look for when watching in the current meta. As mentioned, I played quite a bit before so I knew the mechanics etc, so the actual watching of the games was not new nor hard for me.
- We were speaking to a dance floor legend all weekend and didn't know o.o
- Definitely if I have a say in it =)
- Would love to but for now my schedule at ESL is quite packed with multiple games. I have yet to go to a TI though and that would be the dream to go watch TI.
- Is this your first encounter with Dota 2 or have you been playing for a while?
- Favorite hero?
- Favorite pro player/personality?
- Will we be seeing you in future events?
- No it is not! I was introduced to dota2 back in 2011-2012 by my college suit mate. Loved the game, loved the multi-dimensional play, and I love putting myself to challenges so I got hooked and actually dropped all my other games just to focus on getting better at dota for almost half a year (I didn't get that much better haha). Sadly I didn't get to keep up with it for a while in Korea, but I'm glad to be involved in it now (and will def. have to start playing more again!)
- Well...my friends got me started on Lich and Crystal Maiden for obvious reasons haha. Personally I've always been a fan of Clockwerk (I think just the design itself (VO, skills, sounds etc.) really got me to like him. Back then I was reading up on the other dota heroes not in dota2 yet and when I read about Phoenix I was super interested, so I was happy to see lots of phoenix play this weekend!
- I mean I only recently got to meet a lot of these guys. From before though, when I was doing other titles, I'd always watch how various games do their casting, and always paid close attention to Tobi and Cap's to see what was different from me and what I could take. Of course, Blitz has a special place in my heart after our time in Korea with Zephyr, and...I mean back when I first got into dota2 Dendi was everyone's hero and I loved watching his plays.
- If I can help it, yes. I always enjoyed watching dota 2. It's a naturally dramatic game for the most part, but it also is a complex game so I think it makes for fantastic watching if you know the basics. I loved the atmosphere this weekend, loved the guys on the panel, and will be sure to get myself in to more dota 2 if all allows it.
Former player of Zephyr, currently the caster of joinDota
- What's the difference between a high mmr pubstar and a top tier pro?
- Are you gonna wear the husbando and waifu shirts with Purge this TI?
- I still got it.
- Now that gay marriage is legal all across the U.S will you and Purge be wed soon?
- ASAP GET LIKE ME (the abovementioned same-sex relations are actually a joke - editor's note)
4 Clover & Lepricon player, 8k mmr
- Not much, decision making and attitudes
- Hello, big fan here!! Have you ever play against n0tail Meepo? Did you win? Keep it up!
- Your attitude of "I don't care" and "I will go to TI if you like it or not" caused you to get a lot of haters. Looking back at the whole incident, do you regret how you handled the situation?
Former player of Mousesports, last team — Burden United
- Who killed Burden United?
Player of Cloud9, he's known for an unusual collections of various heroes
This is no ordinary AMA. This is the collection of the answers during the stream of the player at Twitch. Watch the repeat of the stream here.
- ESL was both good and bad.
- Fata and EE had a huge fight after ESL.
- Journalism (and e-sports journalism) is bullshit.Invictus
- The best carry in the world right now is RTZ, but it could change quickly.
- N0tail is amazing... "He's a true man"... but he's broken after playing with Fnatic.
- There are internal issues in C9 right now that prevent EE from playing to its full potential.
- EE feels responsible for losing the first game vs iG. He feels C9 could have won game 3 if his teammates had listened to him.
- EE plans on playing DOTA for 2 or 3 more years.
- C9 has 4 players who are "next level" and one player who is "very good, but not next level" ( Misery)
- EE says he's a "caster-hater," but he enjoys listening to Capitalist because he knows the game.
- He feels he has gotten stronger over the past year. (Edit from EE: "I said I've gotten weaker in many ways over the past year though >_>")
- SingSing is very mechanically strong, but he's not someone you want to play with in a team. He's not fun to play with. He added that he hasn't played with Sing in a year though, so things might be different now.
- "I don't consider Black that good." And EE thinks a lot of people think the same way.
Bone is drafting because he's the most stable player
EE doesn't feel like he (and carry players in general) can draft this patch because carries just sit in lane but there's too much going on in the early and mid game for carries to understand how to draft. He also mentioned he thought Hao drafting for VG was genuinely really fucking them over.
Sing also doesn't really criticise others but EE has no idea as to whether it's because he doesn't notice or whatever
majan_pl made an interesting proposition: to change icon of Black King Bar after each use. Valve might listen to it and introduce the change in the new grand update. It is small, yet very useful.
In reply to this post, LeRohameaux joked comparing it to the weapon of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive:
6-5s - Battle-Scarred".
What do you think about new music pack written by Hans Zimmer? The community adored the idea and got the post to top. Сообщество крепко ухватилось за эту возможность, подняв пост в топ. "Let him make this Volvo (Valve). Great game need a Great score. Two Steps From Hell + Hans Zimmer = Epic!" we decided to support this call.
Cosmetic items don't influence the game much. Still many users appreciate them much and wish to possess these items. That is why the renovation of many out-of-date items along with update Reborn was put to question. The example of such renovation is shown in the picture above. What do you thing about new Sange & Yasha for Riki?
Reddit also paid attention to our team. "Average teamfight of Natus Vincere" - sometimes it's hard to argue with that. Well the main thing is to win. Here's another funny picture by Fghuy100:
The popularity of Team Secret is constantly growing. It is construed to be one of the favorites of The International 2015. Here's a splendid work inspired by a well-known anime Naruto.
Speaking of Team Secret, we can't help mentioning the main star of the team - Arteezy. Just watch his dad walking in during the stream. посмотрите на эмоции его отца во время вчерашнего стрима! "Ban incoming for topless streaming?" Decency jokes.
The list of casters and analysts of TI5 isn't full yet. However, yesterday, the community raised question on inviting former captain of Natus Vincere Arthur "Goblak" Kostenko to the tournament. The question was raised both by the Russian-speaking and English-speaking community. Let's see, what will be.
To finalize, we'd like to ask: "Who do you wish to see as a caster and analyst at The International" Leave your answers in the comments!