Valve removed the rifle changes
If you’ve played CS:GO during the last week, you’ve probably felt a difference on the spray patterns of the AK-47, M4A1 and M4A1-S. A lot of people including some pro players and casters were displeased by this change and were asking Valve to remove it, and they obliged.
This is the second time this week that Valve released a hotfix on the Winter Update; previously they nerfed the R8 Revolver, after they realised how ridiculous the weapon was.
The Winter Update changes forced the ESL ESEA Pro League Season 2 Finals organizers, a tournament where Na`Vi placed second, to play the game on the previous patch since the players had no time to get accustomed to the new spray patterns. The spray pattern changes, now reverted, may have not seem so serious from a spectator point of view, but it had a serious impact on the way to handle gun fights, encouraging you to use a tap burst instead of spraying down, and as the latter was the most popular one it meant that most CS:GO players had to relearn how to play with rifles.
Reddit user mLalush, made some graphics that show just how much the Winter Update affected the AK-47.
As you can see from those graphs the changes made the AK-47 an unpredictable weapon that relied on luck to get the kill and not the level of skill the player had. At it's highest difference the post update AK-47 was 33.3% more inaccurate than before the update.
Valve admits that they didn’t anticipate the reaction that the community had, and that they are using this mistake as an opportunity to learn and will change the way they communicate with the community when it comes to weapon changes. They added that they still want to add some changes to both rifles and pistols but they won’t be as radical as the ones they made last week.
Along with these changes Valve also fixed a couple of bugs in the game:
- Other players can now hear the sound of the R8 Revolver primary fire hammer just before it fires.
- Smoke clouds from smoke grenades detonated by burning fire will now correctly cover the ground instead of floating above that area.
- Fire grenades that had been only partially extinguished by smoke will no longer deal damage from the flames under smoke grenade
- Flames from fire grenades that are still spreading will no longer spread into the smoke cloud and will instead spread along the edge of it.
- Fixed up-to-360-degree camera flip in Killer Replay.
- Fixed an instance where an offer showed the incorrect price.
For the full reasoning behind this decision by Valve you can check out the full blog post here.
iamshockWave 16 December 2015, 22:41 1282 0